“Mary, Mary, quite contrary, How does your garden grow?” Mary's garden may be growing very nicely, thank you, but if what is growing in Mary's garden is marijuana, Mary may need a lawyer.
Growing marijuana plants in New Jersey is risky. If you have been charged with growing marijuana plants, there's a pretty good chance that it is one or more of these events led to their discovery:
- You told other people that you were growing marijuana, or planning to grow marijuana. (“Loose lips sink ships.”)
- You were growing marijuana plants outdoors, visible to neighbors, New Jersey State Police helicopters, and drones.
- You let others see the grow, or see growing equipment, or let them be where odor from the grow could be detected. These “others” could be friends, ex-lovers, neighbors, and meter readers.
- People came into your home without permission. These could include police investigating a domestic dispute, or report of a burglary, or an outside door left ajar. It could include fire fighters responding to reports of a gas leak, or an actual fire. (Sometimes it's just not your day.)
The classifications just listed exist regardless of the weight of the growing marijuana plants. It makes no difference that none of the growing marijuana plants has yet produced leaves that can be harvested. It makes no difference whether you were growing the marijuana plants for your own use, as opposed to sale or other distribution. New Jersey prohibits private growing, or propagating, or cultivating, marijuana plants even when needed for compelling personal medical use. We discuss the more technical aspects of legal issues involving manufacturing, growing, propagation, or cultivation of marijuana on our “Manufacturing” page, on this site.
Marijuana Lawyers in New Jersey™ do not encourage growing marijuana. At the same time, they know that, despite their advice, people will continue to grow (or begin growing) marijuana. Some of these people will be investigated and arrested. For those individuals, Marijuana Lawyers in New Jersey™ offer this advice:
- If police come to your home and ask if they can enter, allow them to do so only if they have a search warrant. (But if they insist on entering without a search warrant, do not resist.)
- If police officers or detectives ask you questions concerning existence of a grow, or your knowledge of a grow, reply with these exact words, and only these words: “I would rather not discuss it.” Repeat as needed. Memorize those six words now. Practice them from time to time.
- If you are placed under arrest, tell the arresting officer or detective that you want to talk to a lawyer.
- See the page on this site relating to arrests and questioning by the police for more information.
- Can evidence of the grow be suppressed because it was discovered only on account of an illegal search and seizure?
- Can the person charged with growing marijuana get Pretrial Intervention (PTI)?
- Can the prosecutor prove that what was growing was, in fact, marijuana?
- Can the prosecutor prove that the person arrested was the person that was actually doing the growing?
- Can this case benefit from “jury nullification”?
Both Mr. Goodman and Mr. Marain are available to assist persons charged with growing marijuana, and all marijuana-related offenses. No-charge no-obligation initial conferences are available by phone, and at their office in New Brunswick. They welcome your call.
Allan Marain |
Norman Epting, Jr.
Case Evaluation | Expungements | Radio Promo | Gun Lawyers | Your Privacy | Contact Us
Possession | Distribution | Intent To Distribute | Paraphernalia | Growing | Juveniles | PTI
CDS in Motor Veh. | Conditional Dschg | Drug Tests | School Zone | Public Housing | Public Parks
Public Buildings | Manufacturing | Drivers Licenses | Cocaine
(Federal) Possession | Distribution | Constitutionality | The Twilight Zone
Stopped by Police | Jersey Justice | El Paso | Jury Service | Dangerous Drugs
PGP Public Key | High Links | Lab Forensics | About Marijuana
Medical Marijuana | Bill Maher | Jill Stein, 2016 | Donald J. Trump | Winston Churchill
Reefer Madness | Drug Informants | Just Say “No!” | Directions | How Did We Do? | Parking